The 200 bed Mission Hospital was built in 1955 by missionaries. The School of nursing was added in 1956. The Hospital was handed over to the locals in 1975. Mismanagement, under use and misuse along with plundering of the property has lead to near total collapse.
Plans to restore Mwihila to its glory days have began and new Board of Managers have been appointed to oversee the rehabilitation process.
We will need serious support to help actualize this.
Transforming people's health through teaching, healing, preaching and to create a healthier community with a readily accessible healthcare.
To create a healthier community by providing readily accessible healthcare.
- Rehabilitation of the facilities to full operational status.
- Provide a full complement of healthcare services.
- Recruit highly qualified professional/technical staff.
- Re-open the school of nursing and other healthcare worker training.
- Out-patient block: administration building, pharmacy, lab, radiology, grounds and staff housing.
- Main Hospital Block: Maternity, Pediatrics, General, kitchen & laundry and purchase an ambulance.
- Central Hospital & East Wing Block: add in-patient beds, operating room, minor and main theatre, emergency, casualty and mortuary.
- Central Hospital & East Wing Block: sub-specialties including ophthalmology, orthopedics, dental, ENT, OT/PT, nurses station, washrooms and corridors.
- School of Health Professions: lecture halls, dining room, dormitories, staff houses, perimeter fence and mobile clinics.